Swedish Extradition FACTS from Christine Assange
June 20, 2012
Julian Assange’s mother Christine recently tweeted the following FACTS about extraditions involving the USA, UK, Sweden and Australia:
1. Australian PM Julia Gillard and Opposition leader Tony Abbot backed new Extradition Act Amendments making it easier for U.S.A to extradite Aussies. The Greens fought it.
2. For the FIRST TIME Aussies can be now be extradited for minor offenses.
3. The protection of “political” motives has been weakened. If the charge is “terrorism” then “political” cannot apply to prevent extradition.
4. The U.S.A. recently expanded its definition of “terrorist” to include peaceful protesters - “low level terrorism”.
5. Under the new NDAA legislation, the U.S became a police state - citizens and foreigners can be arrested without warrant and indefinite detention applies.
6. In 1971 the U.S. Supreme Court ruled it legal to publish classified documents. Obama is now trying to label media who do so as terrorists.
7. Modifications to the Act included changing “protection from death penalty” to “likelihood the death penalty would be carried out”.
8. Note that the U.S.A is in the top 5 countries for killing its own citizens, and the only Western country in that top 5.
9. Even Minor Offenses under the new Extradition Amendments are punished with up to 12 months imprisonment.
10. The UK/US Bilateral Treaty allows the U.S.A to extradite from the UK without any prima facie case (i.e. evidence).
11. The Swedish/US Bilateral Treaty gets around safeguards of normal extradition with a fast-track “Temporary Surrender” clause.
12. The US Grand Jury convenes in secret. There are 4 prosecutors, no defense, and no judge. It can issue indictments for extradition with no proper legal process.
13. Sweden has NEVER refused an extradition request from the U.S.A.
14. In 2001 Sweden gave two innocent Egyptian refugees to the CIA for rendition to Egypt, where they were tortured.
15. The Swedish Justice Minister who signed off on the CIA rendition torture flight was Thomas Bodstrum.
16. Thomas Bodstrum is now the business partner of Claes Borgstrum, the politician/lawyer of the two Swedish women in the Assange case.
17. The Australian Greens supported a motion by Senator Scott Ludlam to protect Julian from “Temporary Surrender” to the U.S.A via Sweden. Both Labor and the Coalition opposed it.
Follow Christine Assange on Twitter: @AssangeC
this needs more notes
(Source: , via bohemianarthouse)
Never hurts to educate yourself
Stop drinking the koolaid
Ain’t no sense to bitch about it
Cause you all know what’s gone wrong.
Late at night, when you’re in your bed,
The Bad Don’t Seem So Wrong.
Tryin’ to justify the violence, reconcile in silence.
Dress it up in fancy clothes. Wash it down with diamonds.
Drown it out with music. Act like they don’t apply to you,
Look how wobbly the rules is. You probly could improve if/
You was in charge, maybe runnin’ thangs
(If) You was involved things would be different.
Maybe you could make a difference
Or probly not and things would stay the same
And you go to sleep at night
Knowin things will never change
Wake up in the mornin and you feelin kinda strange.
Don’t remember last night, so you back at it again.
Turn back up your music. Put back on your chains.
Fasten on your watch and slide on all your rings.
Put back on your glasses that block out all the pain.
Hit yo niggas on the phone, and tell em that it’s on.
Tell em that it’s on.
its kind of hard to listen to anyone else after you’ve become accustomed to Lupe MF’n Fiasco. *MF is for muthafuckin… in case you didnt know*